TJC ESQ is now part of Burns & Levinson


| Feb 26, 2016 | Child Support, FAQ, Modifications

In a previous blog entry, our Rhode Island family law attorneys discussed how parenting plans can be modified post-divorce. To further shed light on this complicated yet crucial legal issue, we would like to take the time now to discuss how child support payments in particular can be modified. Since this is a matter that concerns both your finances and the wellbeing of your child, it is important to know the ins and outs of the subject thoroughly.

For starters, modifying child support agreements is similar to modifying anything covered in your divorce in the way that it may not be done “on a whim.” The court will need to see that something significant has happened before it will even consider your proposed changes. But what is significant? This is where matters start to become unique.

Child support payments are there to benefit your child first and foremost. This means that changes in their life may be significant enough for the court to consider altering the previous agreements.

For example: If your child is passionate about music and insistent on enrolling in band class, there may be high costs and fees associated with this hobby, such as price tags on instruments and uniforms, that are simply out of your financial range. To keep them happy and learning, you can request additional child support payments for a set sum and a set amount of time.

Personal interests may be, admittedly, difficult for a court to consider significant. Generally child support payments based on a child’s needs are spurred on by medical necessity. An injury or illness may debilitate them, necessitating certain care or requiring modifications around your home, such as wheelchair access ramps. Beyond their own necessary care, if you suddenly lost your source of income or needed to make medical payments of your own, child support modification may be a possibility.

To learn more about this subject, or for help with a family law issue of any kind, contact TJC • ESQ and our Rhode Island divorce attorneys today. We would be happy to tell you more about your legal options during a free initial case evaluation. Just call 401-400-4254 today.


Sad Child
American Association For Justice
Pound Civil Justice Institute Member Fellow
NewsWeek Leaders in Showcase Family Law 2011
Super Lawyers Timothy J. Conlon Selected in 2020
AV Preeminent
The Best Lawyers In America