We all know breaking up is hard to do, and it is even harder when the breakup involves dissolving a marriage that you believed was meant to last forever. While not every love story has a happy ending, it is important you remember to stay practical and not get swept up in the emotional devastation, as there are many other things at stake while ending your marriage. One of the most important and contentious aspects of divorce is your finances, which is why it is essential you protect your assets in the face of an impending divorce. Doing so will not only help protect your future post-divorce, it will save you endless stress in the upcoming litigation process.
The following are tips to help protect your assets in the event of a divorce:
- Retain inventory of all assets and debts
- Get proof of inherited or gifted assets
- Lawfully acquire your property from your home
- Remain informed about the status of all property
- Hire an appraiser
- Take photographic evidence of joint property
- Make copies of all important documents with the help of your divorce lawyer
- Keep business records transparent
- Sort out mortgage and rent payments
- Change your will
Contact Our Rhode Island Divorce Lawyers Today
Divorce is a stressful process, and our Rhode Island divorce lawyers of TJC ESQ want to help. We know just how frightening it can be to face the ending of such an important chapter of your life, which is why you can rest assured you are in good hands with our help. Our legal team has been serving the people of Rhode Island for over 30 years, and we have the skills, experience, and knowledge necessary to best advise you on your course of action. Don’t waste another moment not preparing for what’s to come.
To reach our firm, contact us by calling (401) 216-4414 at your earliest convenience!