You, like all other Rhode Island residents, want to get to your intended destination unscathed when traveling the roads. Of course, some of your trips could seem a bit questionable in regard to whether a safe arrival will be the outcome. You cannot control the actions of other drivers, and you do not know what may be affecting their driving abilities at any given moment. As a result, you are always at risk when on the road.
In particular, you may worry about tractor-trailers and their drivers. If so, you are not alone as many people have a fear of involvement in a truck accident. Though the majority of these accidents are preventable, some causes show themselves more than others.
What causes truck accidents?
Truck accidents can take place due to the actions of either the truck driver or the driver of a smaller vehicle or a number of other factors. Some common causes of truck accidents include the following:
- Poor maintenance: Though all vehicles need proper maintenance, tractor-trailers in particular need regular maintenance because they are on the road so often. If a truck is poorly maintained, it is more likely that a crash will occur.
- Weather: The weather conditions can also contribute to truck accidents. If a driver does not slow down or otherwise accommodate for snow, ice, rain or even wind, a serious accident could take place.
- Driver error: When a driver makes a mistake, a collision could occur without a moment’s notice. Some errors could include driving under the influence, distracted driving, drowsy driving and reckless driving.
- Equipment failure: Though poor maintenance can cause accidents, equipment failure is a different type of issue. Even properly maintained trucks could suffer from equipment failure if a part is defective.
- Improperly loaded cargo: The type of cargo and its weight can affect how easily a driver can keep a truck under control. If the cargo is not loaded properly, it can be more difficult to maintain control, and an accident could occur.
If one of these factors or others contribute to a truck accident that leaves you seriously injured, you will likely face life-changing outcomes. It may be in your best interests to explore your legal options when it comes to seeking compensation for damages resulting from the incident, such as medical expenses, pain and suffering, and more.